Wednesday, September 2, 2009

5km - Finally Cracked It!

5.06km - 29:32

I've been trying for ages to crack the less than 6min/km - I've come close a couple of times, and it just hasn't happened.

So the half marathon training programme I am following has an "easy" week every 2nd week, today was "just" 5km (who would have believed I'd think a 5km run as a short run!), so I decided yesterday that I was going to run it fast and see if I could crack that time. Partly, because I'm finding on the longer runs I'm trying really hard to run slow and take it easy but I'm still running at about 6:15-6:30, I needed to know in my head that I am running slower, does that make any sense?

So off I went this morning, checked my time at 1km and it said 6:12, darn it, tried to make sure I just kept a good pace all the way ... and I did it, yay! I'd love to say that means I can break the 10km in an hour, but I don't think I could keep that pace going for another 5km ... but I do know my body can go at that speed, so its just working on it now :)

Back to easy pace for my 8km tomorrow though ... I'm really trying to work on the length and durability now, not speed!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Getting seconds/minutes off your time is so encouraging.

    I find that I've been working on my endurance for so many months now, that I'm seeing decreases in my speed. I'm okay with that for now... but after my marathon, I'm looking forward to working on shorter distances and *hopefully* getting faster :)

    ReplyDelete